Saturday, January 27, 2007

Filmed in MN

We watched 'That was then.. this is now' tonight. It got me thinking of other movies filmed in MN. I hunted the internet. It claims over 400 movies have been partially made there, but no real list. Where is the list? Anyone? Here are the one we found.
A Simple Plan
Airport
Beautiful Girls
The Mighty Ducks 1, 2 and 3
Drop Dead Fred
Drop Dead Gorgeous
Fargo
Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier
Jingle All the Way
Joe Somebody
Mallrats
North Country
A Prairie Home Companion
Than was then.. this is now
Feeling Minnesota
Untamed Heart
Purple Rain

One site said Pushing Tin? With Honors? Ice Castles?

3 comments:

Peder said...

That's more movies than I would have thought. There was a documentery filmed in Austin about the Hormel strike. Something like 'American Dream'. You can add that to the list.

Sarita said...

Brian, I am super impressed with your googling skills! I am such a sucker for Minnesota movies. You would think the MN film board would have a complete list, but no.

-I saw A Simple Plan. In fact, the one of the main actresses in it worked at Dayton's when I was there. It was a total indie film. I remember being frustrated because they were supposedly heading south of the cities, but they stopped at Trout Aire. Cute movie, nothing to write home about.

-Drop Dead Gorgeous is one of my all time favorites.

-Beautiful Girls has a scene filmed at Bryant-Lake Bowl near our house, though it is supposed to take place in a small town.

-It was a huge deal when Untamed Heart was being filmed. You'd think it was the first film eve made here. I admit I was kind of excited when I figured out where Christian Slater's apartment actually was.

-I remember when With Honors was being shot on the U of M campus.

-I believe Here on Earth was shot near Northfield.

DD4 said...

Brian, here's another Minnesota film you can add to your list: "Sweet Land," filmed in 2005.